The Chicago and North Western Railway’s most famous train was the Twin Cities 400, which ran from Chicago to Minneapolis/St. Paul. It was introduced in 1935 to compete with the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy’s Zephyrs and the Milwaukee Road’s Hiawathas. This train was named because it traveled the 400 miles between the cities in 400 minutes. C&NW was the first system to start a high-speed Chicago-Twin Cities schedule because it used refurbished instead of new equipment, but in 1939, modernized the 400 with new E3A diesel locomotive pairs and streamlined cars.