The Cincinnatian was a named passenger train operated by the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B&O). The B&O inaugurated service on January 19, 1947, with service between Baltimore, Maryland and Cincinnati, Ohio, essentially a truncated route of the B&O’s National Limited, which operated between Jersey City, New Jersey and St. Louis, Missouri. The Cincinnatian is most famed for its original dedicated equipment, rebuilt in the B&O Mount Clare Shops. The design work was done by Olive Dennis, a pioneering civil engineer employed by the railroad and appointed by Daniel Willard to special position in charge of such work for passenger service. The livery used the blue and gray scheme designed by Otto Kuhler, which Dennis laid on the engine and tender in a pattern of horizontal stripes and angled lines. In 1950, its route was changed to travel between Detroit and Cincinnati; the train kept this route until 1971, when Amtrak assumed passenger rail service.
This beautiful advertising artwork was typical of American railroads at the turn of the century. It has a holiday feel, and makes one long for the good old days of vintage passenger train travel. The children are in the Frisco Line depot waiting room. For more on the Frisco and classic passenger train travel go to http://www.classicstreamliners.com/Texas_RRs_-_3.php. To hear the new song “Rockin’ On the Frisco Line” go here: http://www.classicstreamliners.com/TJ_Night_Owl_Blues.php. Happy Holidays!