Tag Archives: Classic Streamliner

“The Flying Yankee: An Early Streamlined Articulated Trainset”

The Flying Yankee was a diesel-powered streamliner built in 1935 for the Maine Central Railroad and the Boston and Maine Railroad by Budd Company and with mechanical and electrical equipment from Electro-Motive Corporation. It was also the name of a passenger train, the third streamliner train in North America after the Union Pacific Railroad’s M-10000 and the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad’s Pioneer Zephyr; the Flying Yankee was, in fact, a virtual clone of the latter, except that it dispensed with the baggage/mail space to seat 142 in three articulated cars.

“Seaboard Streamlined Steam Locomotive at the Seaboard Railway Station, St. Petersburg”

Postcard depiction of one of the finest Seaboard Air Line Streamlined Steam Locomotives at the Seaboard Air Line Railway Station at St. Petersburg, Florida, “The Sunshine City.”
This is a linen type card that was popular circa 1930s to early 1950s. Streamlined locomotives and trains began in the early to mid 1930s with the lightweight diesel trains such as the Pioneer Zephyr. By the late 1940s to early 1950s, diesel powered locomotives were in common use for passenger service. This card is likely from the 1930s to 1940s.

“The San Diegan: The Original Surfliner”

The San Diegan was one of the named passenger trains of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway, and a “workhorse” of the railroad. Its 126-mile route ran from Los Angeles, California south to San Diego. The Los Angeles-San Diego corridor was popularly known as the “Surf Line”, and the first San Diegan ran on March 27, 1938 as one set of equipment making two round trips a day. See more at http://www.ClassicStreamliners.com and follow us on Facebook at http://www.Facebook.com/RailStream.

“Air-conditioned Lounge Car on the Frisco Meteor”

Air-conditioned Lounge Car on the Frisco Lines’ crack train, “The Meteor”, between St. Louis, Tulsa, and Oklahoma City. Luxuriously furnished, tastily decorated, and unusually comfortable. . . Cool in Summer, agreeably warm in Winter. “The Meteor” was a named passenger train operated by the St. Louis-San Francisco Railway (a.k.a. SLSF or “the Frisco”). It ran overnight between Oklahoma City and St. Louis via Tulsa. In 1948, Frisco No. 4501, a 4-8-4 Steam Locomotive, still in its Meteor livery, pulled President Harry S. Truman’s whistle stop tour train through his home state of Missouri. See more at http://www.classicstreamliners.com and follow us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/railstream.

“The Wabash City of Kansas City”

The City of Kansas City was a streamlined passenger train operated by the Wabash Railroad and its successor the Norfolk and Western Railway between St. Louis and Kansas City, Missouri. It operated from 1947 to 1968. At the time of its introduction it was the only streamliner which operated entirely within the state of Missouri. The City of Kansas City commenced operating on November 26, 1947, and made a daily 278-mile round trip schedule between St. Louis and Kansas City. At the time of its introduction it was the only streamliner which operated entirely within the state of Missouri. General Omar Bradley, a native Missourian who as a young man had worked on the Wabash, christened the new train. Primarily a daylight train, No. 3 departed St. Louis at 8:45am, and arrived in KC at 2:15pm. The consist was then turned around and readied for the eastbound trip as No. 12, departing KC at 3:55pm, and arriving in St. Louis at 9:45pm. The American Car and Foundry Company built the original seven-car consist in their St. Charles, Missouri plant in the suburbs of St. Louis. Cars included a baggage car, baggage-mail car, two 58-seat coaches, a lunch counter-coach, a dining car, and a parlor-observation car. The interior of the parlor-observation car was designed according to Pullman Plan #9001 and Pullman managed the car, as it did with all the Wabash parlor cars. The Norfolk and Western Railway leased the Wabash in 1964 but did not discontinue the City of Kansas City until February 1968. See more vintage passenger trains at http://www.classicstreamliners.com and follow us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/railstream.

“The Baltimore and Ohio’s Royal Blue Flyer”

The Royal Blue was the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad’s flagship passenger train between New York City and Washington, D.C., beginning in 1890. The Baltimore and Ohio also used the name between 1890 and 1917 for its improved passenger service between New York and Washington launched in the 1890s, collectively dubbed the Royal Blue Line. Using variants such as the Royal Limited and Royal Special for individual Royal Blue trains, the Baltimore and Ohio operated the service in partnership with the Reading Railroad and the Central Railroad of New Jersey. Principal intermediate cities served were Philadelphia, Wilmington, and Baltimore. Later, as Europe reeled from the carnage of World War I and connotations of European royalty fell into disfavor, the Baltimore and Ohio discreetly omitted the sobriquet Royal Blue Line from its New York passenger service and the Royal Blue disappeared from their timetables. Beginning in 1917, former Royal Blue Line trains were renamed: the Royal Limited (inaugurated on May 15, 1898), for example, became the National Limited, continuing west from Washington to St. Louis via Cincinnati. During the Depression, the Baltimore and Ohio hearkened back to the halcyon pre-World War I era when it launched a re-christened Royal Blue train between New York and Washington in 1935. Sadly, the Baltimore and Ohio finally discontinued passenger service north of Baltimore on April 26, 1958, and alas, the Royal Blue faded into history. Come celebrate the glory of vintage passenger trains and our classic fallen flag railroads at http://www.classicstreamliners.com or visit our Facebook page http://www.Facebook.com/railstream.